Thursday, November 28, 2013

Very Thankful for: Community


It's Thanksgiving morning, and Jerry's strategizing about what time is best to go line up to collect a fancy cake for my sister's birthday. 

Not early--he already missed that boat--but late, he thinks, because the bakery workers "won't be chatting" and the line will go faster.

I've got a mountain of green beans to prepare.

But here's a thankful thought:

I'm so grateful for the communities I'm part of.



Thanks for the pool community, especially Anne, Val, and Ellen.  In the past year, we've helped pack up Ellen, so she could move to assisted living in New Hampshire.  We miss her.




Thanks for the quilting community, especially the No Problems mini-group. This includes Mabry, Ann, Rebecca, Claudia A., Marion, Angie, Sue, Deanna, Peg, Agnes, and Karen.  It was a golden day when I was invited to join 11 years ago.  These are ladies who will never let you down, about quilting or anything else.


 

Thanks for  my block community.  There are 24 houses, and we recognize and "know" each other in a comforting way, but I'm especially grateful for Laura, Leah, Annika, and Reina.  This year Jerry and I flew to Boston for Leah's college graduation, and we're having Thanksgiving dinner with them today.



And thanks for the Berkeley Food Pantry community, particularly Barbara and Anne.  My friend and co-volunteer Judy (back row, left) moved to Boston this year, but we're still in touch..

I realize as I write this that there's cross-over between these communities: pool/Pantry, quilt group/Pantry, and, come to think of it, blog readers/Pantry.   (Hmm, I may be a little over-enthusiastic about recruiting Pantry supporters.)

Communities anchor me.  I feel very lucky.
.







2 comments:

Buttercup said...

Looks like a very happy Thanksgiving. Enjoyed your thoughts on your communities. I think I need a pool community.

LizR said...

My pool community helps me be healthier--I show up for them!