Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Department of Revolting Developments


I was dreading today's eye exam because I hate having my eyes dilated, and I especially hate that test where you sit at a machine, stare at a small light, and click each time you see a light flash in the periphery.

But today, something new:  The taciturn ophthalmologist told me that I officially have glaucoma. 

I was stunned. 

For more than a decade,  I've had the pressure in my eyes checked every six months because it's been elevated, and each time I've been told that it's no big deal.

Today, though, the doctor could see the beginning of damage to my optic nerve. Which means I have use eye drops every day for THE REST OF MY LIFE.  I'm no good at eye drops, which means Jerry will have to do it. Without the drops, I will go gradually go blind.


If these drops don't work, there are others, and I can always opt for laser treatment to improve the drainage in my eyes (it's caused by a fluid build-up).  That's already sounding good.

Thoughts:  I am so old.    It's one thing after another.  I don't want to go blind.  I hate eye drops.  I don't want to deal with it. 

On the way back to the car, I picked up this:

Blurry?  Can't tell.  Eyes still dilated.

No comments: