Friday, November 22, 2013

Outcomes


 
Energy hog?

Breakfast this morning consisted of me trying to eat while Jerry ran around the kitchen flipping on appliances to see if the lights dimmed.

"How about this?" he asked, trying the toaster.

The lights did dim--but why?  Switch on the hot pot and lights flicker.   Forget the microwave--it whirs almost silently and the food is stone cold.  What's up?  High winds last night blew down some power lines?  Or  is the ancient electrical system in this house packing it in?

Do I call PG&E and see what's up?  Or wait, because after all we do have some power, unlike some neighborhoods on the Peninsula. 

* * * * *


Quilt winner:  Margaret, my sister's college roommate,  put in the winning bid of $275.  My sister pledged another $25, rounding it off  to an even $300.  She now owns one square of the quilt.

Margaret plans to hang the quilt in her law office, replacing "a cheesy 'painting' from Costco."

Congratulations to Margaret, and many thanks to blog readers/bidders, who've contributed a total of $700 to the Berkeley Food Pantry through quilt auctions this year! And thanks to Angie Woolman, who donated the machine quilting.

I'm already thinking about the next quilt.  Scraps from Margaret's quilt?

 
 
Or leftovers from the big quilt I'm working on now:
 
More undertstated
 
No idea.  



* * * * *
Aprons:  Opinion was evenly divided, so I bought some of each for the Monday crew at the Pantry.     I have an idea that some of the more staid  (sane?) volunteers will prefer stripes, and the exhibitionists among us will go with veggies.
For the more manic?

I feel as though this is a bit like  rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, but it's either this or buying a lot of See's candy and offering a piece to each client--this is where my mind goes in the face of all the need.  Pretty much inconsequential, but after donating time and money and food, what else to do?

* * * * *

 
We're going next door to my friend Laura's for Thanksgiving.  Her daughter Leah is flying in from NYC to mastermind the dinner.  Hurray!  Practically stress-free, plus much better food than we'd have here AND fun people to drink prosecco with.
 
My assignment is a vegetable, and I broke out into a sweat over that until I decided being myself was the best policy, put away the cookbooks,  and committed to simple buttered green beans.   Leah says fine, so that's that.



No comments: