Saturday, November 2, 2013

Quilting with a friend



Quilt update:  Bidding now stands at $250.  Thank you!  The top bidders at this point are friends my sister and I went to Del Mar High School with.  (Go Dons!)


My friend Elisabeth drove over from West Marin today so I could help her with a quilt she had in mind making for a niece when she was born..  That little girl is now 8 and having chosen fabric over a year ago wants to know what the hang-up is with her quilt.

Elisabeth arrived with her sewing machine, fabric, the quilt top, a big bar of dark chocolate, a small apple galette for Jerry, and a bouquet of flowers, the last two from the West Marin Farmer's Market. 


Four-square pattern
 
We got to work in my studio.  We ironed, I cut fabric, she sewed, we added a border (purple), put together a binding (more purple), and made a back (purple and pink, get the drift?).   Around 12:30 we decamped for a Mexican restaurant on Solano Avenue and got take-out.  We ate that, attacked the chocolate, and sewed some more. 

The quilt is a simple four-square (see pattern at right; from a book).



Left over squares from Elisabeth's quilt.


And we talked.  My God, the things you can cover with a good friend while working on a quilt!  A recent wedding she went to, people I had drinks with last night, family stuff, and how awful the Republicans are.  Also, the oyster farm dispute in Pt. Reyes National Seashore and whether Jerry and I might rent her house while she's in England for a few weeks next year (killer view of Tomales Bay).

A view of Tomales Bay from Elisabeth's deck; it's even better than this.

We finished up and took a walk up to Indian Rock, several blocks from my house.  You can see San Francisco Bay from there.  Then back down the hill, where Elisabeth loaded her car with her sewing machine and the  finished top, back, and binding,  and began her trek back to Inverness, leaving behind the rest of the chocolate bar and half a galette.

Naturally, I ate the rest.  Perfect end to the day.















 


No comments: