Tuesday, November 5, 2013

I feel bad about my kitchen...


I've had people come through the house, first-timers, who were at a loss for words when they saw our kitchen.  One of them, after I'd shown her the rest of the house, said,  "I can't wait to see your kitchen!" like this was going to be the piece de resistance.

So I showed her. 

She said nothing. 

Cabinets from the '60's; kitchen table from the '70's;  floor from the '80's; appliances from the '90's
Our kitchen is dated.  I learned that word from HGTV, and it's a bad thing to be.  No cherry cabinets, no granite, no stainless steel.  No island, no stools.  No pantry, no instant hot water, no gas range.  And it's not very big.


A sharp right and you come to this: A weird well with space for only one person unless you want to break a toe (have done it ).

The last time someone re-vamped the space and put in new cabinets was the early 1960's, when the people we bought from put in plain wood cabinets and pale yellow-green Formica. 

We switched out the Formica with Corian and painted the cabinets white.  And replaced what my sister the designer refers to as a "rolled goods" floor with Kentile.  Then, in 1999, we put in white appliances and a milky-coral tile backsplash.  We left vintage touches like produce bins and built-in cutting board, mostly because we were cheap:
 
One of these days, I'm going to convert this cupboard to shelves
 
 
I threw some art up on the walls, and called it a day. After all, it's not like we like to cook.

Doesn't everyone have ceramic washcloths hanging on their kitchen wall? (Natsoulas Gallery, Davis, if you want one)

 
Since then,  I've been in an open house where a young woman spied an '80's-era black oven and said, "This is dated," like, eeeew.  I sensed that was going to be that for the property,  forget handsome architecture, good lay-out, and primo location.  All because of a black oven.

Shoot.

But I don't seem to care enough to do anything about it.


The "pantry":  a tiny room off the kitchen with. One contractor wanted to tear the entire room off the house, but then where would we keep our extension cords?


No comments: