Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Aprons, chickens, heartbreak


Yesterday was so crazy at the Food Pantry that I barely had time to grab my phone and take a picture of this little adorable, who was our youngest client.  She came in with her mom and her binkie.

This month, the Pantry is giving out a frozen chicken and a smallish bag of Thanksgiving fixin's (cranberry sauce, stuffing mix, etc.) to each client. 

The clients are staggering out with more bags than usual, many with double-parked cars in the lot or grocery carts or roller bags to get it all home.  Some walk.  Some ride the bus. Some take BART.

That sounds like a lot of food, but it's not.  No milk, no eggs, no juice for  the children, lots of canned stuff. .  It's a make-do, but they seem especially grateful.

I kept looking up from checking in clients on the computer to see a growing line of drawn, concerned faces watching me work as fast as I could.  It was cold yesterday, and they were standing outside.

"Sorry for the wait," I'd say.

"No problem," they'd invariably reply.  Humbling.

To divert myself, I began to think about buying inexpensive aprons for the front-room crew.  They'd give us a lift, anyway.

Amazon has a slew of aprons, and I've already spent quite a bit of time poring over possibilities.

 
1940's wallpaper-cheerful print?
 
 
 
Green stripe?  A bit more dignified?   Do we care?
 
 
Anyway, it'd be a morale boost for the volunteers.  So much gratitude in the face of heartbreak, so much need, so little we can do.
 
Which apron do you vote for? 
 

 

No comments: