Monday, August 13, 2012

One-Pot Monday Night Dinner

After three hours working at the Food Pantry on Mondays, I'm in no mood to cook.  In fact, my friend Judy and I usually compare notes on what we're going to have for dinner while we're driving home.  Leftovers or take-out are usually the answer.

Tonight, though, I threw together a very easy, healthy casserole.  I found the recipe years ago in a book about reducing high blood pressure through diet.  I quit the job that gave me high blood pressure, so now I add a little salt.  It's a serviceable weekday meal, tasty and easy, and the leftovers nuke well.

Imaginative cooks out there:  Let me know if you see ways to make this more interesting.  Add diced ham, for example?  Carrots?

Lentil Casserole (serves 4 very generously)

3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
3/4 cup dry lentils (I use French green lentils)
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup raw brown rice
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 tsp crushed basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese

Preheat oven to 350.  Oil a casserole dish.  Soak lentils in boiling water for 15 minutes; drain; rinse.

Throw everything into the casserole dish, except 1/2 cup of the cheese.  Cover and hurl it into the oven.  Bake 1-1/2 hours, stirring twice.  When the lentils are tender, sprinkle the other 1/2 cup of cheese on top, leave dish uncovered, and put it back in the oven until cheese is melted.

Ready to go into the oven


4 comments:

Bearflag said...

More cheese!

gladys said...

Everything is better with prosciutto.

LizR said...

prosciutto! Great idea!

Yes, needs more cheese. And salt. Salt really enhances.

madeleine said...

Looks delicious! I spent hours making lentil soup last weekend and am now thinking I could have just made the casserole instead....