Friday, August 3, 2012

How My Kitchen Is Not Like Yours





This vial contains moth larvae, tiny semi-disgusting worms.  Any minute, Jerry's going to pour boiling water over them  (electric kettle to right).  I never know whether he's boiling water to make coffee or to kill larvae.  (Mug or vial?)


Note the strip of pale blue paper at the bottom, a label for this batch

This isn't normal, I pointed out to him last night.  As I spoke, though, I realized it is normal around here. I'd worked around another vial in the kitchen all day yesterday, didn't think twice--floating dead worms?  Whatever.

He shrugged and smiled.  Sometimes I find him using the kitchen sponge to clean out the vials and have a minor breakdown.

Also, we have a second refrigerator in the basement with host-plant samples stored in the vegetable bins and dead moths in vials and plastic bags in the freezer.

Vials in the downstairs freezer


2 comments:

Bearflag said...

Seems pretty normal to me. Lots of dead animal parts around our place.

LizR said...

Food? Not pets, anyway.