Saturday, August 4, 2012

And So It Goes

A foggy morning in Berkeley, socked in and chilly, the kind that makes me think I'd better put another quilt on the bed tonight. 

 Jerry's parked himself on the couch to watch Olympic volleyball.  He's wearing his headphones, provided by me for his birthday, so I don't have to listen to the commentary and the ads.   I've got a mental list of yard tasks for the day, but who wants to go out in the dreariness of coastal fog to do them?  Later.

In the meantime, I'm scanning the news on my laptop.

The only problem with the headphones is that we forget that he can take them off.   I find  myself speaking very distinctly, with exaggerated lip motions.   He squints, trying make out what I'm saying while keeping an eye on the Russian volleyball players. 

"Clint Eastwood has endorsed Romney!" I say loudly.

"What?"  Brow furrowed.

"Eastwood endorsed Romney!" I bellow.

He holds one earphone away from his head.

"Who?"

I repeat myself.

"He's not as smart as I thought he was," he says, resuming full plug-in. 

Afterwhile, he gives up on volleyball and undertakes the daily ritual of Looking for Lost Things.  Top of the list at the moment: a plastic bag of bulk oatmeal I bought two days ago at Berkeley Bowl and a pair of small stereo speakers, which are in a box somewhere in the basement.


Wait, he's just come up from basement!  Couldn't find the speakers, but he located a can of coffee he didn't know he had and an umbrella he thought was lost.  I suggest a certain quadrant of the basement he might check for the speakers and go back to being outraged by a bakery in Lakewood, Colorado, that refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple.




He's just emerged with the box of speakers!  But now he's looking for the two leaves he pulled from the rose bushes on the deck because there were a couple of intriguing-looking larvae.

Found!   See below.






Of interest:  the white wriggly lines, evidence of leaf-mining larvae



No comments: