Saturday, August 11, 2012

Big Box Retail

Yesterday afternoon I went to REI, Target, and Costco, all three.  If I'd set out to do three big stores--well, I wouldn't have.  Way too much, especially for a Friday afternoon.  I'd have been stressed out, dashing from one to the other.

The original errand was to buy water bottles for our trip to Montana. It's hot in Glacier, and we plan to do some hiking. Found these at REI, BSP-free:


Took fanny packs along to make sure these would fit


I checked out the clearance racks in the women's department and found a pair of lightweight Royal Robbins shorts (well, bermudas--does anyone still call them that?) and a loose cotton top on sale:

A bargain--and they fit


The socks at REI were too pricey, plus a lot of them were wool.  Too itchy, I don't care what they say.  Target was just down the road, so I decided to go there. Binged on socks.   Bought some for me and some for Jerry, plus underwear for him.  (Do all wives buy their spouse's underwear?  Whenever he needs more, Jerry talks about going to Penny's in downtown Berkeley, which has been gone at least 20 years).

Socks and undies cheap at Target

By then I was hungry, and I began to have a fantasy about a Costco roast chicken, plus I wanted some more of the egg-white quiche they stock.   Costco was just a bit farther down the road, so why not?  Bought more socks for Jerry, the chicken, the quiche, a few odds and ends that of course added up to just shy of $100, including a flat of the apple juice Jerry likes, which comes in funny little round bottles:

Jerry's favorite .  The bottles look like something they hand out at an elementary school

It was after 4 when I drove home with all this loot.  I was all set to launch into the chicken when I remembered I had a date with three friends at Cesar's in North Berkeley for drinks and tapas at 5. Lugged in the flat of apple juice bottles and a box of Pellegrino water, tossed the plastic bags of socks and undies on the kitchen table, changed into a black top to look somewhere near sophisticated, and dashed off to Cesar's.  My friends had already arrived and were drinking cool, dark-pink glasses of rose and starting in on crisp strips of potato done with rosemary.

No comments: