Friday, November 18, 2011

You Decide

I went out to breakfast today with friends, and I heard a story that stuck with me.  See what you think:

One of the women, whom I'll call "A,"  now the girlfriend of a man who's been a friend of mine for years, was informed by her husband a few years ago that he was leaving her for a much younger woman.  This came completely out of the blue.   She was about 55 and  had retired recently thinking that their joint financial future was stable; her husband was a very well-paid attorney. 

She was shattered.  A divorce case followed.  She was eligible for ten years of spousal support.  Her lawyer insisted that there be a life insurance policy, so that if her ex-husband died, her spousal support allowance would be covered by the policy.  It was up to her to pay the premiums.  She did.

Her husband just died unexpectedly at 60.  She now has enough money to live comfortably for the rest of her life.

What's your first reaction?  Mine was:  "Ha!"  My second was:  "Good for A!"

It's the "Ha!" that troubles me.

In the meantime, she and my friend, whose wife left him years ago, are very happy together.

No comments: