Saturday, November 26, 2011

Happy Birthday, M!

Today is my sister's birthday.  She was a Thanksgiving baby, which accounted for my mother being missing when I got up on Thanksgiving morning, 1953.  I remember standing in the drafty garage of our brand-new tract house, and my dad telling me I had a baby sister.  I didn't know what to expect.  When we picked her up at the hospital, she cried in the car, and I said, "Send her back!"  Which would have been a big mistake.

Thanksgiving, 2011,  with a cake I brought from Berkeley

Some of her  pals lamented that they couldn't see her face in the grainy newspaper photo I posted earlier this week, so here's a picture of her taken a year later.  She was in the first grade when my mother made this dress, which featured blue cherry fabric and an organdyhalf-apron worn over the dress.  I had a matching one. 

c. 1960



No comments: