Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Unpicking Plaid

I found a pair of plaid shorts in a thrift shop in Saratoga.  Great plaid!  Sometimes good plaids are hard to find.   So I bought them, and I'm now in the process of taking them apart so I can use the fabric in a quilt.

Every so often, my allergies flair up (cat, dog, dust) and along with that comes a sensitivity to chemicals used to "finish" fabrics.  When that happens, I find that old clothes are the way to go: they've been washed so many times that chemicals are pretty much gone.  Plus, I don't think fabric produced for clothes has the same chemicals that quilt cottons do.  No scientific proof, but this is what my nose tells me.

I'm back to weekly allergy shots, which seem to calm down my allergies and sensitivities.  In the meantime: thrift shops.

Partly deconstructed

2 comments:

Ann said...

Pretty plaid! What you said makes sense about older clothes being washed so many times the chemicals are gone...but why do thrift shops have that stinky smell?

LizR said...

Hmmm. Don't know. This shop didn't (Saratoga?). Everything was fresh, washed, and ironed.