Saturday, September 22, 2012

Saturday Morning Rummage

Up and out the door early(ish) this morning to go to the rummage sale held by the Quaker church that donates space and money to the Berkeley Food Pantry.  All proceeds to the Pantry.

I was determined to bring home nothing, since I have too much stuff and had donated quite a bit of it to the sale. Nada to be acquired, I told myself.

At a few minutes past 10, the church  parking lot was full of stuff and people sifting through it.  Books, strollers, household goods, paintings donated by a grateful Pantry client, backpacks, you name it.





Lots of books,  some donated by another church, left over from their rummage sale:


 
 
 
 
 
  
One I probably should have bought:



What a concept


There was a free box of various that was being eagerly picked through, and also a free box of food that the Pantry doesn't have enough facilities to refrigerate.






 I saw people I volunteer with on Mondays:



Pantry Director Bill Shive and  Sarah, another Monday volunteer

I was tempted by only one thing:  a bell to summon people (who?  the butler?) .  I bing-ed it a few times and thought, what the hell are you going to do with that?


The one item that tempted


I slipped a $5 bill into a jar marked "Donations," and made my getaway.


Guess what?  The world is awake and lively and full of good will on Saturday mornings!  Who knew?  There was a magic show going on in front of the North Berkeley Library and a food truck parked nearby.  People were jogging, getting gas, wandering around with coffee cups trying to wake up, buying produce at the Monterey Market.   I came home and told Jerry we ought to get out on Saturday mornings.  He looked at me like I'd lost my mind.


Perfectly content to stay home, work on moths, and listen to an "A's" game



No comments: