Thursday, September 13, 2012

Eating My Vegetables--Or Not

I've been doing too much  eating-my-veggies lately. Not real vegetables, but gotta-do tasks: doctor's appointments, errand-running, filling the fridge. The best thing about them is crossing them off my to-do list. Then I feel righteous, but it isn't fun.

A few weeks ago, I moved my computer, printer,  phone, and  to-do list into a small alcove off the dining room.  That's where I'm doing all my computer-related work now: trip logistics, bill paying, ordering online, returning phone calls.  All that stuff that feels like tasks.  Duties.

My new work alcove off the dining room


After I got the phone, TV, and computer out of my studio, it felt sort of irrelevant.  I wasn't spending much time there.

But gradually, that room has become a haven.  My only tools are quilting equipment (straight edge, roller blade, scissors, cutting table) and crayons/paint/pastels/drawing pencils/rubber stamps.  I've got lots of fabric, photographs, and trip memorabilia to play around with.  I putter.  I love going in there.

And instead of feeling the constant pull toward the computer and phone and Things That Need to Be Done, I feel peaceful and pretty much open to whatever might happen.






 
 
 


Why didn't I do this sooner?


No comments: