Thursday, July 19, 2012

Finding a Temporary Nest in London

We get to go to London next year!  We managed to score free Business Class seats with frequent flyer miles, thanks to our travel agent, Jenny.  I held my breath while she tangled with the airline. 

Now I'm casting about trying to find a flat to rent, which is much less expensive than a hotel room, plus you have more room, including a kitchen.  I have a big map of  London spread out next to the computer, so I can plot various flats while I review apartments listed on the rental agency's website.

We liked the area where we had a flat last year, near the Kensington High Street tube station, but we didn't like the old carpet full of allergens, doors that slammed shut unless they were propped open, and a toilet that trickled night and day.

I've  narrowed the search to three flats, the most promising of which is on a street called  "Palace Gardens Terrace,"  near Kensington Palace.  The agency website says,  "This attractive first floor flat (no lift) is elegant and stylishly decorated in a contemporary style."   First floor means second floor to Americans, so that's okay, although no elevator means a challenge hauling our bags up the stairs when we arrive. We'll cope.

Here's what I've got to go on:

"Sitting Room"--including dining table where I can work on my trip journal and Jerry can review manuscripts.




TV in sitting room and armoire with unspecified contents






King-size bed and "ensuite bathroom"




Kitchen with "hob" (stove) and other necessities.  Washer/dryer is in "hallway cupboard"




"Over shower" in bathroom, which also has "wash hand basin" and "loo."











1 comment:

Bearflag said...

Look here:
https://www.airbnb.com/