Monday, July 2, 2012

Dinner Every Night


Mollie Katzen's Shepherd's Pie
Months ago, maybe a year, I asked a certain women's group I belong to--you know who you are--to please, please give me recipes for reliable, nothing-fancy  dinners.  I think I got one response.  The heart was willing, but the logistics of getting the recipes to me  stymied response.


After spending an hour and twenty minutes yesterday afternoon making a vegetarian Shepherd's Pie,  I am truly desperate for help.  God willing, I have years ahead of eating dinner, but only a pitiful reserve of tasty, easy recipes.  I've already lassoed Jerry into helping. He  was on his feet chopping yesterday asking imponderable questions like,  "How big a piece for chopped mushrooms?"   and "Why can't  chopped parsley be added to mashed potatoes while  you're using the electric mixer?".   His repertoire consists entirely of frozen pizza.

So here's my proposal: I will visit each woman in the group, interview her at home, and gather up a few easy recipes.  Or, the friend can come to my house, whatever works.  Then I will write up the recipes and post them on this blog.  I will include photos of cats, children/grandchildren (if applicable), quilts, and gardens to give you a sense of the person.  It will be fun to read.  And it could help lots of women, well into middle age and beyond, who still face the problem of dinner every night.

I welcome suggestions from everyone, except possibly my sister, who eats meatloaf every single night.  A little repititious, but, hey, it works for her.







2 comments:

gladys said...

As a member of the so mentioned group my suggestion is to take the house cook to lunch, and quiz him. Bearflag is his name.

Ann said...

Mollie's Shepherd's Pie looks really good. I am looking forward to your interviews, photos, and recipes.