Friday, December 21, 2012

Getting A Grip on Guns


 
 
"Wanna to put on  a disguise and go to a gun store?" I asked my friend Leah yesterday morning.  She's home from college for the holidays.

"Are you crazy?" she said.   CRAZY as in all-caps.

"You could distract them, while I scope it out," I went on.  I was serious.  She's the only person I could think of who'd go along with this.

The problem is that I have no idea how I'd disguise myself to look like someone who isn't a) a scaredy cat who's afraid of guns in any form, and b) a very dubious believer in the Second Amendment.  I don't know a magazine from a shell or a pistol from a handgun. 

What I want to understand what it is about guns that makes people love them so much.  If I gripped a gun, would I understand?  If I went to a firing range with one?   What makes people so emotional about giving them up?  I'm scared even of the guns I see on police officers' hips.  Guns can cause death.

The plan's on hold while I figure out where we'd go.  There are no gun shops in Berkeley that I can find on the internet.  A nearby gun shop in El Cerrito has bad reviews on Yelp (unhelpful staff; they'd see through me for sure).  I'm scared to go to one in Oakland, and it's kind of a long trek to Novato.  Stay tuned.








2 comments:

Bearflag said...

For some people guns are tools and for others they are toys. It's the toy guys that give me the creeps. NZFS Hunter, Grade 2.

LizR said...

The tool part I get. Not the toy part, very creepy. WHat does NZFS Hunter mean? New Zealand Forest Service? (all I can think of)