Thursday, November 29, 2012

Soggy Weekend


It's winding up to rain big time in the Bay Area (hysterical weather people predict a "fire hose" and a "deluge").  Here's a recommendation for a good read.

  


I loved this book!  If you went to college and faced a big turbulent scary void when you graduated, didn't know where you were going to live, where you'd find a job, whether you'd ever find a boyfriend/girlfriend, where you'd go to graduate school or if--this book evokes that time  so thoroughly that I thanked God several times that I'm old. 

A girl, two guys, all brand-new graduates of Brown University, Class of 1982,  try to find their way, their lives intersecting romantically and intellectually.  I thought the writing was wonderful, the descriptions so apt, but not over-the-top.  Here's a sample:

"Beyond the bay window of Carr House, the graduation traffic was now steady.  Roomy parental vehicles (Cadillacs and S-Class Mercedeses, along with the occasional Chrysler New Yorker or Pontiac Bonneville) were making their way from the downtown hotels up College Hill for the ceremony.  At the wheel of each car was a father, solid-looking and determined..."

Roomy parental vehicles!  Solid-looking fathers!

Below is  a photo taken the day I graduated from Berkeley wearing a home-made, flame-colored dress.  I was full of book-learning and a baby in Life.  Several bummers followed.


Graduation lunch, June 17, 1972.  Claudia, Debbie, my sister, my mother, and me.






No comments: