Saturday, June 30, 2012

Fashionably-Early Anxiety

The new Nordstrom catalog arrived,  glossily illustrating the Trends for  Fall.   Python bags and shoes, satchel handbags, skinny jeans, neon stockings, western boots, a bright orange coat.   My first reaction, as usual, is anxiety. How will I remember it all, and how will I pull it off?

As though I need to know, which is crazy given my age and lifestyle.  But that doesn't matter.  There's something about fashion magazines that makes me feel inadequate and out of my depth.  It's all foreign to me.  If there's a quiz, or God forbid, a test in a dressing room, I'm going to fail.  I have no idea how to put it all together.  I'd need flashcards. 

I flipped through again to see if I haven't been too hasty, if in fact there are a few things I could imagine wearing, that wouldn't seem too off-the-wall to integrate into my wardrobe.  Not much.  Not the very skinny cropped pants (too fat), neon-colored tights (who are we kidding?), platform heels (have a weak ankle, plus where the hell would I wear them?).  Possibly some short boots ("booties"), but not a satchel handbag (too much to carry).  I have some younger blog-readers who can wear this stuff and look wonderful, but a woman over sixty would look like  a damned fool in a lot of it.  Or do you agree?


Zipper skinny jeans




Spanx and Nordstrom tights



B Brian Atwood pumps


Various handbags--many have no shoulder strap

No comments: