Monday, June 4, 2012

God Save the Queen and Her Tea Towels

From the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich

 I don't know what I'm going to do with them, but I buy tea towels compulsively in museum gift shops when we're in England.  Most are linen or cotton/linen,  stiff and easy-to-wrinkle, but they're a relatively cheap way to bring fabric home.  (Liberty prints cost a fortune, and most of the other fabric I've seen I can buy here.)   Someone in my quilt group suggested I use them on quilt backs.  This is but a sampling of the ones in my stash.



Detail of a tea towel from Kew Gardens




From Downe House, Darwin's home



From Sissinghurst Castle



Every National Trust property seems to sell them




The British Museum


A William Morris print from the Victoria and Albert Museum










No comments: