Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Good-by, Nora



From the dust jacket of "I Feel Bad About My Neck,"  2006

Nora Ephron died yesterday, and we are all reeling.  The news came out of the blue, but she'd known for six years that she had myelodysplastic syndrome, a pre-leukemic condition, according to the New York Times obituary. 

No one else can write those movies ("When Harry Met Sally," "Sleepless in Seattle," "You've Got Mail," among others).  No one else can write so eloquently of aging ("I Feel Bad About My Neck").  And certainly no one can ever achieve the payback she did by writing "Heartburn," about her philandering ex-husband, Carl Bernstein.

Oh, Nora.  We will miss you.

Addendum:  I wrote a post about Nora Ephron last August 11 ("Go, Nora").  If I were advanced enough, I'd provide a link to it here.  But I'm not.  She probably wrote about technology and aging,  maybe in "I Feel Bad About My Neck."  I'll have to check.





No comments: