Thursday, June 28, 2012

Hurray, and yet...

I woke up at 7:28 am and immediately turned on the radio.  To my amazement, the Supreme Court had upheld the Affordable Care Act, even the contentious individual mandate.  I leapt out of bed and dashed down the hall to Jerry's study.

"Really?" he said.  "Amazing."  Last night, while we were cooking dinner, he'd come up with a strategy to save the White House from the Republicans if the Supreme Court declared the Act unconstitutional.  The plan was this:   Obama should withdraw right away, and the Democrats should run "some movie star like Reagan who's a Democrat, who could pull  the wool over their eyes."  Meaning the American people.   Sometimes Jerry's cynicism beats out my pessimism.

Today, though, hurray!  To me, this legislation ranks up there with FDR and Social Security, and LBJ and the Civil Rights Act.

But then I read the post of one of the young conservative Catholic women whose blog I've been following.  Not happy.  A long, emotional rant about losing freedom, being forced to buy health insurance or pay a tax, states rights trampled.  I don't understand this point of view because I don't see what's to be lost by more people having health insurance, but it's deeply held by many of our fellow citizens, even those who go to emergency rooms for their basic healthcare.  We insured people pay for that care, we and the government, which is also us.

Even if I think I'm right, this blue/red divide gets to me.  I almost left a comforting message on the young woman's blog because I felt bad for her, and then I thought, but she may end up benefiting from this, who knows.



No comments: