Sunday, January 8, 2012

Where Will It All Go?

Inheritances are handy, no doubt about it, although I never expected much from my parents.  My dad always said, "It'll all be spent on enema bags," referring to what my sister and I might inherit.  Turned out to be more than either of us expected, although not a whole lot.

Now I'm pondering what's going to happen to my stuff when I'm no longer around.  I look around my studio: quilts, CDs, eccentric book collections, non-eccentric book collections, sewing machines, fabric, paintings I've bought.  Where will it all go?  Bigger things, family items like my piano and some furniture, will go to my sister, but what about my art books and my camera, things that don't seem particularly significant to me now but might be a way of honoring the bond with a friend?  I would like people I love to feel recognized.  At the same time, I don't want to be too much of a micromanager. (Do I?)

My godmother left her sterling silver flatware to me in her will.  She was going to leave me her persian rugs but I didn't visit her enough, so I got cut back to just the sterling.  That was fine with me, no sting to it; inheritances are nothing you're owed or should count on.  At the same time, as a general principle,  I don't think writing your will is a time to get even over the petty stuff.

Maybe it's a New Year kind of thing.  Maybe I'll think about it later.

No comments: