Monday, January 2, 2012

Iowa: It Comes Down to Grammar

Is anyone else bone-weary of hearing about Iowa's  Republican caucuses?   As a lifelong Democrat, I view it as an irrelevant exercise among relatively few people in a demographically un-diverse state.  Who cares? 

I'm completely disinterested. To be sure, I consulted  my favorite grammar manual, "The Practical Stylist" (Sheridan Baker).  Baker says that  "disinterested" means "impartial, without private interests in the issue." I have no private interest in which Republican wins, except that Michele Bachmann might be easier for Obama to beat than Romney would be, but I don't care enough to root for her.

I think I'm also uninterested, which means that I not only don't have a stake in who wins, but I'm also indifferent. It's just a lot of noise on TV and radio at the moment.  As I heard on NPR today, it's been the Andy Warhol of Iowa caucuses: so many candidates who each got 15 minutes of fame.

Jerry is militantly annoyed by the coverage of  Iowa caucuses, the way he was when George W. Bush was president and he'd appear on the TV screen.

 "What's HE doing there?"  Jerry would bellow.   Now he shouts, "Who cares what a bunch of  people in Iowa think?"

I have a friend from Iowa, a long-time Berkeley resident, and she thinks Iowa is pretty awful based on people she knows there, even if they do allow gay marriage.  To me, it feels like a lot of hot air blown into a flimsy balloon that's going to pop on Tuesday night.  Hurray.

No comments: