Saturday, January 7, 2012

Report from the Egg Lady

This is what 30 dozen eggs looks like.  I bought them at Costco today to donate to the Berkeley Food Pantry. Total cost:  $50 for six shrink-wrapped flats of five dozen eggs each.  Turns out it's a much better deal to buy them at Grocery Outlet, where they're only $35 for 30 dozen,  although they're Medium rather than Large eggs.

 Over the weekend, they'll live in our downstairs refrigerator, and I'll take them with me on Monday.

Generally, if the Pantry has eggs to distribute, clients get only a half-dozen.  Other volunteers and I will use serrated knives to cut empty dozen cartons in half and transfer six eggs to each.  I donate eggs a few times a year because I think they're a basic, handy, easy-to-cook food.

Possible campaign slogan for Obama:  "Eggs in every refrigerator!"
.

1 comment:

Bill Shive said...

Yea, for Liz, our egg lady! Those coming to the Pantry for food on Monday will be very grateful.