Sunday, October 30, 2011

Unloading Stuff

I've had a burst of energy after being struck down  by a cold.  Yesterday I cleaned out my closet, got rid of a lot of clothes I never wear because they're too old, too small, too dreary (remember knit tops before stretch?).  Three handbags, several pairs of sandals and shoes, including a pair of sandals from Target so cheap I couldn't resist buying them but hell on the feet. A pair of jeans I wore for years until I caught sight of my rear end in them a few months ago: deeply unbecoming. God knows if they'd make anyone else look any better; they're outta here.

After that,  I got going on books.  I don't LIKE Anne Tyler!  Or a second earnest book about peach farming. Or any more Annie Dillard.  I don't need a copy of "Rebecca." At the same time,  I can't bring myself to get rid of any literature books from college, even though I haven't laid  a hand on any of them since 1972  except to pack and unpack them during moves.  I discarded three mostly unread books by Ruth Prewar Jhabvala: I don't care if she wrote wonderful scripts for Merchant/Ivory-- I don't like her fiction, so there.

I've got a lot of empty hangers and roomy bookshelves.  Feels good.

1 comment:

madeleine said...

"deeply unbecoming." genius!