Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fashion

Claudia M. and I hightailed it out to Walnut Creek today to get me some clothes other than jeans and t-shirts, for dress-up occasions.  I'd watched a bunch of fashion make-over shows on cable while we were in Inverness, and I realized I didn't know a  thing about current fashion.  I'm worse than the lady priest they had on "What Not to Wear."

We went directly to Nordstrom and found the not-so-expensive department I like to go to, which has been moved to the opposite end of the store (replaced by Gucci and St. John).  The usual squad of sales associates tried to help me, and I finally gave in to an older saleslady who was a goldmine of information re current styles and what to wear with what.  Plus she didn't judge me.  No wool! I said. No sleeveless!  No ponchos!

She got us a dressing room and kept running in clothes, while Claudia advised on fit-and-flatter and hung up the rejects.  I bought two pairs of pants and a few tops.  The pants are stretchy and tight.  I had to go upstairs and buy special underwear so I wouldn't have a visible panty line.  I was totally out of it re underwear, also.  Now there are panties with no elastic around the leg; instead they have an adhesive that sticks to your thigh. Hard to describe.

Staggered home.  The stuff is all still in the bag.  But I feel as though I look a little more with-it, and some of this stretchy stuff is actually flattering.

And now to Jerry's fashion statement:  Here is the purse that he found at the West Marin Thrift and he's going to use as a camera case.   Hard to describe how delighted he is with it,  especially the "J."  He dispensed with the shoulder strap and matching checkbook cover.




No comments: