Monday, August 19, 2013

Shopping Trip



One day last week I went shopping in Walnut Creek with two pool pals, Val and Anne.

Val wanted to go to Nordstrom and get fitted for new bras.

Anne needed a MOG (Mother of Groom) outfit because her son's getting married in September.  The search was modified to mean any sort of pulled together outfit that she felt comfortable in and could wear other times.  Her son's getting married under a big oak tree in his aunt's backyard in Berkeley.  Very casual.

                                                                          2.

Val disappeared in search of Intimate Apparel, third floor.  I'd warned her that this was going to cost her some real money based on my experience last year,  but she seemed unfazed.

                                                                           3.

Anne and I went to Talbots, a wise move because it turned out they were having a giant sale.  All the summer stuff--tops, pants, skirts, jackets--was 60% off.    The relatively conservative styles suit Anne, and she found a pair of pants, two tops, and a cardigan for $100, a coup.

At Nordstrom, we found nothing--edgier, heavier clothes at regular prices, all summer stuff gone.  If you're into aubergine, leather pants, and high heels, this is your year.

                                                                           4.

I returned a pair of shoes I'd bought on impulse a couple of weeks ago without trying them on (they were mailed to me).  I thought they would add a touch of glamour and be comfy.  When they arrived, I wore them around the house and decided they didn't fit.  Fit trumps glamour.

The salesperson who accepted the return examined the shoes very carefully, but I'd taken the precaution of running a lint remover over the soles so there was no evidence of my bad housekeeping (thread, dental floss, bits of this and that, not good).

                                    5.
                                                                     
Val met up with us, carrying a bag full of pretty bras.  The most expensive cost $88.  She still seemed unfazed.  When she heard about the sale at Talbots, she rushed off to check it out.  Anne and I persevered with her search for shoes.  Nothing worked out, but it was a good place to sit down.



                                                                            6.

"Chili" is top row, fourth from left

I  dashed off to buy a lipstick: Mac's "Chili."  It's bright red, so I always wear it with a more neutral, glossy color over it.  God knows if it makes any difference.  I'm approaching an age that ends in a "5," and this has me in a flap.

Also managed to wheedle a sample of Estee Lauder "Advanced Night Repair."  Has anyone used this?  I'm curious to see if it works, given all the hype,  but I didn't want to pay the exorbitant price. 

                                                                             7.

Reconnoitered in Women's Shoes.  Val had bought two tops at Talbots.  This was turning into a very successful expedition.  We repaired for iced coffee. 

                                                                              8.

We weren't far from Crate and Barrel, so I bought Jerry a cup and saucer. He doesn't like mugs, and the cups and saucers he's using don't work well.  The cup's too tall, and he's always knocking it over when he's sitting at his desk, getting coffee all over his papers.  Lots of swearing. 

He likes the new one, which is shorter and heavier.  The saucer has an off-center resting spot for the cup, which leaves room for a morning cookie.

Crate and Barrel's "Madison."  Made in Germany.


                                                                      

No comments: