Friday, August 16, 2013

Meet Daisy



This is what I've been up to lately:

My paternal grandmother, Daisy,  as a young girl in England. 
 
 
 
 
Doesn't she look like a "Downton Abbey" servant on her day off?  She was a domestic servant in England, but this photo was taken after she'd emigrated to the United States in 1912. 
 
 
 
 
Stern stuff:  Daisy in the 1930's or '40's.  Daughter of  a fishmonger, wife of a streetcar conductor. She died seven months before I was born.
 
I've got marriage and death certificates, family albums, and print-outs from findmypast.co.uk scattered all over the floor near my computer.  So far, I've discovered that my grandfather had an earlier marriage before the one to Daisy, wife unknown.  And that Daisy knocked four years off her age on her marriage certificate. 
 

No comments: