Thursday, March 21, 2013

A Couple of Books and a Near-Bidless Quilt


Update:  Quilt bid now stands at $150.  Thank you, Suzanne!


It's 6:10 am, and I've been awake since 4:15.  Not good.


I have myself to blame: a small dark chocolate bar at 5 pm yesterday (what was I thinking?) and a late-ish Diet Coke.  Too much caffeine, too late in the day. 

In the meantime, I've been paging through two good reads:

 
 

I love this book!  I've lent it it to many pals, and it was kicking around in my car because someone returned it.  An excellent re-read, too.

Novella Carpenter writes about a farm she created on an abandoned lot in West Oakland, deep in the ghetto, with a compelling cast of characters and eventually chickens, turkeys, ducks, bees, and two pigs.  She and her boyfriend dumpster-dive to feed her animals, even behind fancy restaurants on Fourth Street.

I just discovered that she has a blog and has open-house workday at her farm every Thursday.   My friend Anne and I are thinking of going down and helping out.

And the other book:






This is such a sweet, engaging, sad book.  The essayist Roger Rosenblatt writes of his experience of moving in with his son-in-law and three small children after his daughter dies suddenly.  He and his wife leave their home in Long Island, move to Bethesda, and take up life with a young family struggling with loss, re-weaving a life.


                                                                                * * *

And the nearly bid-free quilt:





I have one bid of $100.  Any others?  It's waiting for a home, and the Berkeley Food Pantry shelves are waiting for more food.  Supplies at the Alameda County Food Bank are running low, and that has a direct impact on what we can give away to the people who line up for food every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

No comments: