Thursday, January 17, 2013

Doctors and Lawyers


It's been an odd week.

On Tuesday, we went to get the verdict from a hematologist about some abnormalities in Jerry's blood.  There were some scary possibilities,and we'd had a month to worry about them.   But no, the test results were "uneventful," and no treatment is necessary.   Hurray!

The very next day, we had an appointment with an attorney in Oakland about updating our living trust.

Remember that scene in "Hannah and Her Sisters," when Woody Allen learns he doesn't have a brain tumor and leaps along Fifth Avenue,  full of relief and joy?  And then he stops, because he realizes that one day it will  be bad news.

Going to the attorney was a little like that for me. I kept thinking, ye gods, one day I may be sitting with this cheerful woman after Jerry dies, figuring out what to do.  Or he may be sitting here without me, staring out through the windows at the winter smog obscuring the view of Lake Merritt.

This was a big law firm with multiple receptionists, free coffee and tea and hard candy, and a painting of the building they occupy.  It reminded me of the law firm you see on "The Good Wife."


Painting in reception area of the building in downtown Oakland


Where grown-ups do business

Today I may book that cruise from Paris to Normandy.



 





2 comments:

Bearflag said...

http://www.anthonyholdsworth.com/gallery/

Here's your painter from the office. My favorite local.

LizR said...

Yes, you're right! How did you know? I could just read his signature on the painting and should have given attribution in the post. I've seen his work around for years.