Monday, January 28, 2013

Awake & Stressed: Why Not?


Last night, after rummaging around on the internet for travel supplies (just a plug adaptor and a toiletries kit, for God's sake), I couldn't get to sleep.  I was awake until 4 am.

Wide awake.  I got up twice, per the sleep therapist's advice.  I read a cookbook, which I usually find very soothing.  I took some Benadryl,  which I'm trying not to do.  It was all related to the plug adaptor and the toiletries kit, I knew it.  Travel makes me anxious, vigilant,  mildly wacko.

This morning I resolved to never, ever do anything related to travel planning after 12 noon, the same cut-off I have for drinking caffeine.

But then...lurking in the back of my brain was this idea that I should check our reservations for a flight to Boston in May.   So I did.   The airline had switched planes for that flight and moved us to the back of the plane to very bad seats.  From Row 7 to Row 24.

Lamaze breathing.  Dash to the phone.  I yanked the cord out of  the wall to cut off a  incoming reminder call from  CVS Pharmacy. Then I plugged  the cord  back in and called United Airlines.  An unapologetic but pleasant man switched us back to Economy Plus in reasonable seats--that is to say, you don't need to be a double-amputee to sit in them.

Now what?  I'm trying to be low-key about upcoming trips, but at this point we have seven plane reservations.  Do I check them all weekly to make sure the airline hasn't moved us to seats that will make me feel claustrophobic and as though I need a hip replacement after hours of writhing?  Do I worry only in the morning, per sleep therapist, about travel arrangements?

For the first time in a month, I swiped a brownie from the Starbuck's haul Jerry picked up for the Food Pantry this morning.  Me, Mrs. Virtuous-on-a-Diet.  (There are fewer calories if you cut it into quarters.)

Blame United

No comments: