Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Few Too Many Steps

I'm major Barbara Pym fan--those who know me have probably endured my trying to get them to read her books.

She was a British novelist, sometimes called a "modern Jane Austen," who wrote wry, domestically-detailed novels about mid-century life in England, usually involving the Anglican Church.  I love them!  Lots of single ladies, vicars, eccentrics, descriptions of food, with a quiet sadness underlying it all, captured by a woman who was nothing if not clear-eyed.

Barbara Pym in her last home, in Oxfordshire, late 1970's

When we were in England in 2009, I insisted on a detour on the way to Heathrow Airport so that I could visit  her grave in the village of Finstock, in Oxfordshire, where she retired.  My cousin and her husband drove us there.  Jerry found her gravestone in the churchyard. 

At Barbara Pym's grave, Oxfordshire, 2009

Yesterday, trolling around online, I found that there's a Barbara Pym society, Green Leaves,  that has documented every place she lived and went to church,which became  the settings for most of her novels.  I looked at the addresses and realized you'd have to traipse all over London via tube and bus and your own two feet to visit them all.  Would I do this?  No.  I love her, but I'd rather visit her world in her novels.  Cross that off the bucket list.

No comments: