Saturday, January 11, 2014

Utah: Boo! Yay!



All week I've been avidly reading updates on the battle for gay marriage in Utah. 

Boo, the Supreme Court stayed (put a stay on?) gay marriage there until an appeal is heard!

Yay, Eric Holder says gay marriages in Utah will be recognized by the federal government! 

Yesterday, I resolved not to go to Utah ever again unless gay marriage becomes legal there (haven't been since 1996, but no matter).   An economic boycott is something they'd understand.  Pull out conventions, cancel ski trips.  This is a human rights issue.

Then it occurred to me that Jerry is slated to go to Utah next July for the annual meeting of a professional society.  I'd even been thinking of going with him to Park City.   

I wish the society would move its meeting, and I'm THIS CLOSE to suggesting that Jerry host the meeting in Berkeley instead, which would be a complete pain in the neck.  We (and it is a two-person undertaking) did it in 1987, and I'm still recovering.  A marathon.

I've e-mailed a gay man I know who's a member of that society, and I'll be interested to hear what he has to say.

In the meantime--and this is bad of me--I'm reflecting on the vanilla lifestyle of Mormons and how the gay people I know would be so bored by it that they'd never venture anywhere near those families.  They have nothing to worry about (not that they ever did in the first place).



No comments: