Friday, January 17, 2014

Hey, Boomer Girls--




Is there a more direct road to a major nostalgia attack than listening to Judy Collins? 

I'm trying to put together a quilt back that seems to have to include fragments of tea towels I've bought on trips to England (oh, God, now it's "Chelsea Morning"), and I heard her calling to me, right after I finished with "Jersey Boys." She's kind of an enjoyable downer, but I had to have a lot of caffeine to offset all that poetic earnestness.

Has absolutely nothing to do with Judy


And I think Tom Hanks is right in "You've Got Mail" when he asks Meg Ryan what the hell "Both Sides Now" means, clouds and all.   The lyrics doesn't make sense, but I remember being obsessed with that song when I was a freshman in college.  Obsessed.

I also remember--here we go--driving down to LA from Santa Barbara in 1969 to see Judy at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium.  My date was wearing me out with his moods, and I sat there feeling lugubrious and bewildered, which is just about the right state to be in at one of her concerts.

"He loves his damned old rodeo more than he loves me..."--name the song.

She's sending in the clowns, and--amazing grace--she's almost finished.










2 comments:

Ann Boyd said...

"Someday Soon," written by Ian Tyson.

LizR said...

Ann, you are right! And on FB someone mentioned that she LOVED that song because she had a big crush on a guy who lived in Colorado and ultimately married him.