Monday, January 27, 2014

Mass Superficiality and a Super Shampoo


"Moreover, I feel that the worldwide obsession with hair, clothing, and shoes is the clearest illustration of mass superficiality within human culture, and that the outsize role these things play in day-to-day life is corrosive for everyone."  Chuck Klosterman, "The Ethicist,"  New York Times, January 26, 2014.

So, Chuck, tell us what you really think.

I'm guessing you aren't an aging woman with dry, disobedient hair.

I am, and I'm willing to pay almost anything to do something about.

The last time I was at my (overpriced) hairdresser, I asked about a Japanese shampoo that his assistant had used on my hair the last time I was there.  My hair had had more bounce and held its shape better than it had in years.

"It's by Shu Uemura," he said.  "It's really the best."

"Why?"  I'm already spending an unconscionable amount of money on a fancy shampoo.

"It's oil-based," he said.  "Less harsh."  Pause.  "It's what I use."

That did it.

I had him show me a bottle: "Full Shimmer Illuminating Shampoo for  Color Treated Hair."

The ultimate in understated packaging


"How much?"  I inquired.

"Uh, $48," he said.  Even he looked rueful.

I bought a bottle.

It's dynamite.  My hair has restored bounce and shape and goes where I tell it to.  I rinse out the shampoo well, per instructions, but I don't have to wash my hair any more often than I did with other shampoos.

All that money for shampoo for a person who volunteers at a food pantry and rails against greed and Republicans!  Of course, I feel guilty. But it gives me a literal and psychological lift.

Amazon sells the stuff, but at a terrible mark-up.  The best bet is to google the manufacturer and look for nearby salons that sell it:  http://www.shuuemuraartofhair-usa.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-shu-Site/default/Salon-Locator    There are two in Berkeley:  Keter Salon (1815 Fourth Street) and Panache-College (2928 College).

There are several formulas, depending on what type of hair you have.  The other one they use at the salon is Murota Volume Pure Lightness Shampoo.

Rinse well.

No comments: