Friday, April 20, 2012

AM I Married?

A bracing phone conversation today with Secova,  a company hired by the University of California to audit the legal relationships of employees/retirees to the people they put on their health insurance.

Doesn't that sound dreary?  Wouldn't you shoot yourself if you had to have badgering conversations with people all day about whether or not they're really married?

I thought I'd proved it.  In March,  I sent copies of our marriage certificate and our most recent mortgage payment coupon to show that we are  still married and own a house together.

Two days ago Secova sent a letter saying we'd done nothing.  I put through a call to Secova, which is in New Jersey and answers the phone 24/7.   Woman on phone said not to worry. Today another letter, this time saying our marriage certificate "does not meet requirements."  Another woman on the phone, this one claiming the photocopy of the marriage certificate was blurry and might, might,  be only a  marriage license.  We might have wimped out and not gotten married, but gone ahead and bought a house together that we live in 35 years later.

Is she insane?  AM I married?  And how much is UC paying this company?  How much will they save by hiring these people to police us? 

This gives me a whole new take on what lesbian and gay couples are up against.




No comments: