Friday, February 17, 2012

A Day in San Francisco

Vintage 1999
I went to San Francisco today to get my bangs trimmed (could barely see) and to return an expensive handbag I bought in a mad, bad moment.  Today was the last day I could return it. I found a bag in my closet that I like better, a now-vintage Coach bag my sister gave me about 12 years ago.  See left.

Before and after the bang trim, I stopped by the restaurant in downtown SF where Annika's working as a cashier.  With her new glasses, she looks especially intelligent and efficient.  She comped me a hot chocolate, and I sat and watched her wait on tourists and business people.

Annika at work




Then I went to Britex to spend some of the money I saved by returning the handbag.  A saleswoman named Melody, who's helped me many times , told me that  she's worked there for more than 30 years. She's feisty, opinionated, and thoughtful.  I've seen her take brides to task for unrealistic choices.   And, today, a mother who was planning to make a dress that's too sophisticated for her twelve-year old daughter.


Melody, who loves her job at Britex.  She shoots from the hip.



Marching scissors in a window on Grant Avenue


Mural or graffiti?  In a Chinatown alley




Back to Berkeley with some promising fabric



























No comments: