Thursday, May 22, 2014

Ocean, Pine, Bay

Another day of glorious weather.  First thing this morning, I threw open the French windows in the bedroom and breathed in the distinctive Inverness smell of ocean, pine, bay.

Morning activities:



Jerry sorted the night's catch:  here's a giant Ceanothus Silk Moth, next to a dime for scale



I began sewing together rows of quilt squares

I found this teeny speck of a woman on a tablecloth in the dining room

...and concluded that it had to do with Elisabeth's collage-making



Discovered some scrumptious chocolate cookies in a drawer and ate several.  Have since replaced them but suspect I'll eat all of those, too.

The afternoon:

Lunch on the deck with a view of oyster beds


A hike on a nearly deserted trail

An impressive field of poppies at the start



One of those days to feel really lucky to be outside


A brief stop for groceries...

...including a pint of Three Twins ice cream. Yes, I ate it all.

I watered and tidied up Elisabeth's dahlia bed


A 6 pm walk down the hill to the beach


We could see the fog starting to roll in

Today my friend Val reported that I had a letter published in the New York Times, to my amazement.  I wrote an online comment a few weeks ago, and an editor e-mailed to see if I'd allow them to print it.  I said yes and forgot about.  Haven't seen the paper; Val's keeping a copy for me.  It's on the topic of a big push for granny units.

So far, I've discovered I forgot a pair of jeans, which means I'll have to wear my baggy pants, big hardship.  And Jerry forgot his electric razor, which I think is a passive-aggressive excuse not to shave.  Since rectified (disposable razor).





No comments: