Saturday, April 19, 2014

Outstanding Sticky Toffee Pudding: Go Get Some Right Away!



The Sticky Toffee Pudding was outstanding, ambrosial.  Jerry and I swooned.  The "pudding" is more like a very sweet cake, accompanied by a scoop of vanilla ice cream and sumptuous whipped cream.  

I've done something of a survey of English desserts, and this was as good a version as any I've tried.

Per plan, we went to  Kensington Circus Pub last night at about 6:45.  The place was mobbed, the din appalling, but it was a neighborhood crowd, and the vibe was friendly.  Jerry and I huddled at a table near the bar, as far as possible from the children's play area.  The  food was so-so, except for the pudding.  Next time I'm just going to order a pint of lager and dessert and take it outside to eat, if it's a warm evening.  Yum.

The other highlight of the day was getting a manicure.  My nails are in miserable condition, no matter how much assiduous sawing I do with an emery board.  Is it age-related, how easily they break, how ridged they are, how dry the cuticles?  Whatever--for $10 they were transformed.

My friend Leah B., home from New York City for a week, went with me, and we each came out with transformed hands.  She chose red nail polish, I chose pearly gray-pink.  We were elegant.

At that price, I may have to have regular manicures.  As Nora Ephron wrote, the older you get, the more maintenance you need just to hold the line, although I'm ruling out the painful string procedure she had to remove facial hair (shudder).

Thanks for all the birthday wishes!

I

No comments: