Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Needing a Cold Compress...


I'm holding my head today, not because I spent 70 minutes on the phone yesterday with two phone companies, to little avail (although I did learn that the very nice, businesslike young woman who helped us at Best Buy last weekend--fantastically long nails and painted eyebrows--lied to us).

No,  it's because of what I read this morning:

1.  The Supreme Court decided to allow individuals to give a huge aggregate amount of campaign donations (from a $123,200 limit to $3.5 million).   The Koch brothers won, in so many words, although it was an Alabama businessman who brought the case. 

"I believe in democracy," said Eleanor Roosevelt, in her clear, warbling voice.  Would she say about this?

Cry for us, Eleanor!

2.  A blogger I follow explained today why she and her husband rely on God for family planning (she is pregnant with #4; another blogger with #6).  Was it only yesterday we heard from climate scientists how desperate the global warming situation is?  Every child born in the U.S. is going to drive a car; you can count on that.

I'm thinking about carbon emissions and traffic jams.

Jerry, the evolutionary biologist who contributes to every known environmental organization, thinks about these children living in a world turned upside down by the effects of global warming.

To be fair, I guess we all bend our view of reality to make ourselves more comfortable--I can go on a cruise ship that uses a lot of oil because I had no children to sap the world's resources.  Paul Ryan's budget proposal suggests that he'll feel a whole lot more comfortable if Ayn Rand was right and the poor are just lazy, and the devil should take the hindmost. 


Yes, we traveled to Alaska on this behemothic oil-burner
The conservatives on the Supreme Court apparently think that every citizen can do anything s/he wants to with their own money, and if the government-of-the-people becomes the-government-of-the-billionaires, so be it?  Natural order of things?  Like no birth control?  (Or is that an insane analogy?)

Oh, well.

* * * * *

A spot of good news:  My friend Marian, 90-years old and incarcerated in an acute care hospital for nearly two months because of a lung condition, got the go-ahead yesterday to move to a rehab hospital. 

With only three hours notice, she exited Alta Bates Hospital and is now at a facility in Kentfield.  With treatment, she may be able to resume something of her former life.  Everyone's amazed.

Maybe that's what I need, some magic!  I want to be amazed. 













No comments: