Friday, March 21, 2014

A Missing Jet, the Kardashians, & the Coen Brothers


There are about a million things these days that I just don't understand. 

I find myself getting impatient and cranky and have to back away from the Cliff of Judging Other People, because I could fall into the Ocean of Unkindness, Intolerance, and Intellectual Laziness (the Sea of Republicanism?).

I am currently bewildered/confused by:

1.  The relatives of the people on the missing airliner.  They are very angry at Malaysian government officials because they don't feel they've gotten the entire story, and maybe they haven't.  But where I'm confused is that no one, not even the USofA with all its overpriced Pentagon gear, can find the jet.  The radar/satellites/weather situation is complicated.  I want to say, "I'm so sorry for what's happened to you, but I don't see how throwing plastic water bottles helps."

Rushed back to Netflix
2.  "Inside Llewyn Davis."  We watched the Coen brothers' movie last night, and I was exasperated within ten minutes.  The newspaper review says it's "bleak but funny, and funny is its own justification."  We hated the main character, who had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.  Also, it's not funny.  I dated people like that in college (narcissistic-poet types), and it was never funny. Shudder.

3.   Why Khloe and Kim Kardashian are described as having toned bodies, well-suited to skinny jeans.  The media would call the rest of us "fat." 

4.  Why Michael Chabon's novel, "Telegraph Avenue," is called "a masterpiece."  I'm on page 43 and probably will get no further, even though I'm really trying.



* * * * *



Updates:



1.  My friend Marian, 90 years old and hospitalized for six weeks, is no better.  I took another bouquet of flowers on Monday and spoke to her briefly on the phone.  I'm going again today with some macaroons to tempt her appetite.

2.  The quilt show, "Voices in Cloth" is at the Craneway Pavilion in Richmond this weekend. (A spectacular building, right on the Bay,  originally a Ford plant, converted to producing Jeeps, etc., in WWII).  Be there or be square.  Wear comfortable shoes.

3.  Jerry woke up out of a dream the other night, said, "Damn it!  I spilled a Coke!" While he went to get a towel,  I leaned over his side of the bed and looked, even though I was pretty sure there wasn't any.   "No Coke, no Coke!" I yelled. He tossed the towel aside and went right back to sleep;  I did not.  Attack of the Phantom Coke.

4.  Spring has arrived.  We didn't earn it, but it's here.  I painted my toenails and created a big mess in the front yard, pruning (man's job to clean up?).













2 comments:

Ann Boyd said...

If I still had a Facebook account I would "like" your post.

LizR said...

Thanks, Ann!