Friday, March 7, 2014

A Bouquet for Marian


Hell's bells, more bad news yesterday!  A 90-year old friend who's always seemed feisty and indefatigable is in the hospital with multiple serious problems.  Her daughter gave me a rundown.

No visitors, though my friend is apparently pretty chipper.  This I totally understand because I've always thought it was barbaric to visit people feeling their worst, in a hospital bed, and hold them to chitchat.

Sissinghurst bluebells
Flowers!  This lady has been to England many times and loves the gardens.  Sissinghurst!  Kew!  Can I get that in a vase?

Maybe:


Available at my favorite flower shop. 

I'm going to call at 10 sharp, order a bouquet,  and carry it over to the hospital when I get an allergy shot nearby this afternoon.  Just drop it off at the nurses' station. 

Here's a photo of my friend and me a year ago:


This lady hired me to type in the Entomology Department 40 years ago, just about to the day.  There I met Jerry, Mr. Cranky Professor, and the rest is history.  She delighted in the romance, as though she orchestrated it herself.  In a way, maybe she did--she assigned me to type his Dictaphone tapes.  "Just keep him happy," she said.

No comments: