Thursday, March 29, 2012

Time for The New York Times

Yesterday, at loose ends, I escaped my house, not quite sure where I was going, and headed south.  I stopped Grocery Outlet, a cheesy store I don't like but which has very good prices. I bought seven boxes of Cheerios and seven jars of peanut butter and dropped them off at the Berkeley Food Pantry.
 Then I headed out Highway 13 to Montclair Village in the Oakland hills and bought a Starbuck's hot chocolate and the New York Times.  I read the  Times closely.  I found all kinds of news I don't see in the SF Chronicle and resolved to order a daily subscription, after years of resisting. 

I mentioned this today in e-mail to Chris Yee, a pal from high school.  He replied:

"Funny that you should mention the NYT. I've subscribed for years, along with the Chronicle and the Daily Review.  About 3 months ago, somebody began stealing our papers, sometimes one, sometimes two, sometimes all three.  I began to get truly crazy and got up sometimes at 5AM to get the papers because if they weren't gotten before 6 AM they would be gone. (Robin [his wife], of course, pointed out that this showed I had no real problems, if I was spending energy on something like this.)  Finally we got the deliverers to throw the newspapers directly on the porch and for the last month or so, no problem."

I just got this e-mail, and I was inexplicably cheered.   I, too, would get up to try to catch the thief (or better, have Jerry do it).   I , too,  am going to order the daily NY Times.  Newspaper-reading is going to take up more of my day,  but I seem to have the time.

No comments: