Friday, March 30, 2012

Origin of a Quilt?

When we were in  England in  2009,  my cousin Clement and his wife took us to Down House, the home of Charles Darwin, in Kent.  This was  thrilling to Jerry, an evolutionary biologist, and fascinating to me and not only because of Darwin, although the exhibits were very good, and we saw the actual study where Darwin wrote "Origin of the Species."  What was riveting to me was our mode of transportation.

My cousin, who's known as Clem, is a fast, masterful, cranky driver.  He's the only person I know who actively fights with the GPS lady while driving at top speed down country lanes.

"That's bloody WRONG!"  he'd shout and go in the oppposite direction.  "She doesn't know what she's talking about."   Clem own numerous motorcycles, a "camper" (motorhome), and a "peoplemover" (van).  We were in the peoplemover.

"Darling," his wife May would say.  "I'm not sure that's the right direction."

"This way's shorter,"  he'd bellow,  and on we went.   His irreverence was thrilling (defying the Bossy Tart!). 

Clem having a rest
Yesterday I was reviewing this expedition, because I'm making a quilt that seems to be about scientific specimens.  I got out the English Heritage guidebook I bought at Down House, where the Darwins lived for 40 years (during which time he became an expert on barnacles, among other things).  The grounds are extensive, and Darwin used them as an open-air laboratory.  You can go into the greenhouses,  the extensive museum, and many rooms staged as they were when the family lived there.  Jerry looked at everything.  Clem pooped out.

 Finally, we  all met up in the tearoom, where Clem was re-caffeinated and prepped for the exciting ride home.




The rear of Down House,  Darwin's home for 40 years



A greenhouse, specimens, and a primitive microscope at Down House



A quilt about specimens?