Monday, March 7, 2011

Voiceless

Due to a cold, I've lost my voice. It's very weird trying to force as much air as possible behind my voice--as though I'm shouting full blast--and achieve only a hoarse whisper. Ordering in Starbuck's today, my real voice suddenly boomed through, full volume, as I said the word "soy." It was embarrassing. I felt like a teenage boy who'd lost charge of his voice.

Here's someone whose voice I wished were lost for awhile today: A woman named Marjorie, with a southern accent and a slick vocabulary, arguing and re-arguing her point on NPR that Planned Parenthood deserves to lose federal funding because it encourages child sex slavery. I heard it, and heard it, and HEARD it. She was agile, hopping around to head off counter-arguments, and I felt beaten around the head with an umbrella by the time she mercifully left the air. We all know what she's really opposed to, but in the meantime no one can argue for child sex slavery, and she's going to run with it.

No comments: