Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Responses

The response to my question about traveling vs. socking money away has been tremendous, especially from the No Problems, the Quilt Minigroup of Great Reason and Good Sense. Virtually no one votes for socking away money at the risk of missing joy/memories/adventure, within reason, of course. You have to make your premiums and your co-pays.

Of special note: I have two friends who are recently widowed and both are overwhelmingly in favor of building memories NOW. Another friend adamantly opposes supporting her dentist's second home at Tahoe. I don't have a very complete survey, but in general women to be more in support of the enjoy-it-now approach than men are. Statistically men die first: does this make them protective of their wives or just contrary?

The way the voting played out makes me feel better about a secret I'm harboring. We're using miles to upgrade to Business Class on international routes, and that now requires a hefty co-pay. I called United Airlines to find it out if I really have to commit the co-pay act right under Jerry's nose at the airport the day we fly. They said yes. My travel agent said no. I think a woman ticket agent may be the answer.

1 comment:

CPHenly said...

Just to be the Devil's Advocate... When you have two diametrically opposed positions, compromise is not possible (maybe here, something: fewer less expensive trips? But that doesn't really settle the issue.) The way I see it, you get a big emotional payoff from using the money to build experiences and memories. He gets a big emotional payoff from using the money to feel secure. Lots of votes in your favor aren't going to change his feeling. Only solution I see in this type of situation is take turns. You get your expensive trips for a few years, and he gets his save money for a few, then back to travel again. Thus, my vote is that this is not a matter that voting can solve. As a friend of mine says: "You can be right, or you can be married." -Carrie