Friday, June 19, 2015

Some Weeks Life's a Bowl of Lemons



This is a week that--in no particular order--

1.  I somehow wiped the hard drive of my computer, which resulted in a year and a half of personal journal disappearing along with hundreds of photos.  Also, all the programs that have ever been loaded on it.  No processing program.  Can't print.  Computer man is coming today to see what he can do.  Frustration!

2.  Jerry's primary office on the Berkeley campus was flooded by a broken pipe.  Many (old and not all that desirable, thank goodness) books lost.

3.  In the course of dealing with that disaster, the department chair very diplomatically told him it was time for him to move out of that office to make way for new faculty members.   You cannot imagine how much stuff is in there.  Where will it go????

4.  Our trusty electric kettle bit the dust.  Would not work.  I ordered another one on Amazon and that night the old one started working again.  (Why?)

5.  I upgraded to a new cell phone, which takes great photos but won't upload them to my computer.  This is not easily solved.

6.  I learned that a friend, Wes,  from the Berkeley Food Pantry has advanced-stage lung cancer.  Out of the blue and shocking.  I talked to his girlfriend last night for an hour-and-a-half.  His community is rallying.

Yesterday we went to Point Reyes for a few hours and walked on the Estero Trail, which helped damp down my frustration and sadness.  But I'm still haunted by:

1.  The tragic collapse of a balcony at a complex in downtown Berkeley that killed six Irish students.  I remember scoping out this complex in 2007, when my friend Claudia A. was moving out of town and wondering if she and her husband should rent an apartment there as a pied a terre.  I can't bring myself to drive anywhere near it.

2.  The shooting of nine members of an African American congregation in Charleston.  Why is it always a young Caucasian man who perpetrates these atrocities?  Poor Obama and the losing battle for gun control.

Computer man coming any minute...


No comments: