Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Library Glasses, Granny Panties, and Fluffing the House


You've seen plenty of "nerd glasses" around, mostly on younger people.  But did you know they're part of a "generational swing?"


I learned this today from the New York Times.  Understated frames are the mark of Baby Boomers.  Younger people are buying outsized plastic glasses, formerly nerd glasses, now "library glasses," which make a statement.  They indicate that a person is "open and guileless and actively inquisitive," among other things.


A model on the runway for Gucci this year.  Inquisitive or bored silly?



The small, unobtrusive glasses that Steve Jobs wore rejected excess; the new glasses "reject that rejection."



I never did think he seemed as "adventuresome as a critter out of Japanese animation,"  possibly due to his glsses, so maybe this theory holds.


Soon I'm going to have cataract surgery and for awhile I'm going to have to wear glasses I bought in the 1990's:




Will I finally look cool?  Sadly, no.  A couple of years ago, someone in an eyeglass shop told me that big 1980's-1990's-style glasses were coming back, but "not for people your age."  Meaning that I'd look like I living in a time warp instead of making a fashion statement.  Or any statement, let alone open and guileless, etc.


* * * * *


The author of the eyeglasses article, Troy Paterson, starts out by saying that eyeglasses are "more intimate than underpants," because they're plain for all to see.

Which brings me to another thing I learned recently:  Thong underwear is out!  Oh, yes! (For years, I've referred to flip-flops as "thongs," which raises eyebrows and  shows how out of it I am.)  I do own one pair of thong underwear, courtesy of my sister, who spotted a Visible Panty Line. 

Some of today's young women have switched to wearing "granny panties," or what my college roommate Debbie called "big whites."  Back then, we were all switching to bikini underwear.

"Within millennial and Generation Y consumer groups, it's considered cool to be wearing full-bottom underwear," says an apparel analyst,  again in the New York Times.


It's also a feminist statement, because scant underwear is designed to appeal to men, and big whites are all about comfort for the wearer.  However, you can still be a feminist and wear skimpier underwear, apparently.  Yours to choose.

* * * * *

Well, fine!  I've just overhauled my undies so that I have a smoother look from behind, which I got a really good, dismal look at in a department store dressing room recently.  This is what I bought, neither Big Whites nor bikinis, just something to shore up what's sagging and/or too visible.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
These babies are stretchy and comfortable and have rows of
stick-um around each leg to hold it in place.

Weird stick-um but it works
 
 More info  here .


* * * * *

I've been rushing around like a maniac refreshing and refurbishing my house.  For several years, I've been busy planning trips and making quilts and ignoring things in the house that were tired, needed repair, or just plain worn-out. 

I started out by replacing old stuff that works but had just gotten boring:

BEFORE
Yes, it's okay, but I'm tired of it, even if it was bought at a  museum shop in Paris.  See "understated," above.


AFTER
A $5.99 replacement from Target.  Score!

* *

BEFORE
Again, tired.  And no rubber backing, so it slid around.
 
 
AFTER
 Another Target sale item

 **
BEFORE
 I have a pair of these rooster lamps, inherited from my parents. I've lived with the old damaged shades since 1998.
 

EIGHT TO TEN WEEKS FROM NOW
 I ordered new oval shades that are a better fit, but...



 ...with made with plain parchment and a black and rust ribbon trim, shown above.

 

Then there's the harder-to-find, expensive stuff, like a new light fixture for the upstairs hall.  I've lived with this monstrosity for 30 years:

Hate it.  Recessed lighting may be the way to go.

Or how about this:

Sun-damaged black-out lining in bedroom curtains. Three windows like this.

Or this:

A dust ruffle that doesn't fit the new box spring.  It was nice when it was new, about 25 years ago.

**

The front doormat is shot, especially after months of workmen coming in and during the bathroom remodel. What I want is an absolutely plain doormat, 24" x 36".  Can't find one.  Or rather, I did find one online at Home Depot, but they're sold out (doesn't this tell them something? Buy more to sell!).
 

I can find lots like this:

I don't want a doormat that looks like quilt.

This one was mildly tempting because it's funny:



But I'm not that antisocial.

Will keep looking.


P.S. Just found a plain one at Ikea for $9.99!




















No comments: